Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Novice No More

32 Ka'len, 409
City of Crossing - midday

That day I was eagerly awaiting has now come. I have proven myself to be a capable healer to the leaders of the Empath guild. I am a novice no more.

I honestly do not know why this excites me so much. I had shared my excitement with some new friends in the Vela'tohr and it was of no great consequence to them, which I understand. The more I think on it, perhaps it is because there was little to be praised upon when I was growing up. Once I told Mother I'd read ten books in one week. She just smiled, nodded, and told me to read ten more. She loved me, of course - but she did not wish to celebrate mediocrity. Though I have to chuckle at that. Some of the most joyous praise I ever received from her was for the simple act of putting on a gown and looking lovely for some affair. If I recall, a family of snow elves would be in attendance and she was desperate to open up trade with them on Surlaenis'a. Although she did not outright say it, it seems she would have married me off to one of them if the opportunity arose, just for more contracts.

She had her little quirks, my mother. Fortunately the snow elves had no interest, or they were all married, something. I was only disheartened that we never made it to Surlaenis'a. I have heard it is incredibly beautiful year round, if you do not pass out from all the steps. In time I do hope to visit. For now, however - my studies are incredibly important to me. I must continue to be better so that I can help those in need. Some poor human nearly bled to death the other day because I could not focus intently enough to heal her wounds quickly enough. I managed to save her, but she will spend a few more days in bed because of me.

I will continue to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment